Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2004

You know, it amazes me - summer is supposed to be a time to relax, but it seems that I'm usually busier at this time of the year than any other. I guess it's catch up time, as when we are seriously homeschooling during the school year, I put things off when I can, and do them at this time of the year. Yes, we do homeschool all year, but we go easier over the summer.

I've been taking some time for knitting and getting mittens and hats for winter done. I am working on Sarah Bradberry's Adult Size Pumpkin Hat for DD. I'm knitting it with size 6 circulars in Bartlett Yarn's Hunter Orange and haven't decided what to use for the stem color yet. I have a couple of different color greens, so I'll figure it out when I get to that point. I started it yesterday, so I only have 2" done. The pattern is easy and I think it's going to come out really cute.

I finished a dishcloth type shawl for DD in a variegated blue/green/purple that she picked out. I used Red Heart ww and 12 oz. and size 13 needles, which made the perfect size shawl for a 5'1" girl. The shawl was a breeze - adapted from one of the favorite dishcloth patterns.

Dishcloth Shawl

Cast on 1.
Row 1 - Knit (1)
Row 2 - Knit in front and back of stitch. (2)
Row 3 - Knit in front and back of stitch. (4)
Row 4 - Knit (4)
Row 5 - Knit 2, yo, knit to end. (5)

Repeat row 5 until you have desired size shawl.
Cast off LOOSELY. Weave in ends.

See how easy?!!! And DD LOVES it!!!

I've been spending a lot of time sorting and throwing things. The clutter here is driving me crazy. Don't know how I got so much, and worse, why I've been keeping what I have been! Does everyone keep so much, or am I just weird?!

We are coming down to the wire to be totally approved for being able to adopt. I'm so excited!! We have a couple of classes to do, and then the home visit, and that's it! Then we can finally get to start looking for a child. It's been a long road for us - and we are so close finally.

What a noise! I turned to look out the window next to me, and there are 8 mourning doves at the feeder by the window. Such beautiful birds and it's so exciting to me to see them bring their babies to the feeder. Finally they are trusting us. We've had the feeder up for 3 years, and they have only sporadically been here - until just this past month. They've been here every day, and now bringing their young ones. We've seen quite a few unusual birds this year. Ones normally not for this area, and some not this region. It is a good year to do a unit study on birds. We will be starting it soon. Waiting for the bird book that out state DCNR puts out to arrive. I ordered it a few days ago, so it should arrive soon.

Well, guess it's time to get back to decluttering. I need to hire a maid and tell her to throw all that she deems not worth keeping. Man - would I have a clean house after that!!! LOL

No comments: