Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Braids Crochet Scarf Cowl

My Christmas list has grown significantly over the past couple of years, and I have been searching for something useful and "different" to make for those on my list. I found a very interesting cowl on Ravelry, and knew I had to make it! It looked quite complicated although it was listed as being super easy to make. On Ravelry, the pattern is available for purchase as well as a link to a video. I viewed the video to see if it was something that I'd like to try and found that I really didn't need to purchase the pattern, as the designer, Karen Valladares, gives all the counts as well as very detailed instructions in her video!

After viewing the video, I just had to dig out a Lion Brand Mandala cake and start hooking right away. I chose the Unicorn colorway and found in no time, I had the beginnings of a most odd looking cowl developing. My husband took one look at it and asked exactly what was I making and who on earth was I making this odd thing for?!!

I have to admit, it does look quite strange in the stitching process, but the beauty is in the piecing together. I continued until I reached about 35 inches, then finished it off. I did have someone in mind when I picked the colorway, but after finishing the length, I'm not sure if I'll still give it to her or someone else. The person I made it for loves the color pink, but there's not a lot of pink on it.
After braiding the loops together, the cowl had quite a different look. Hubby certainly liked it better than the wild loop look, but he dislikes the colorway. Personally, I think it's pretty, and even though it's called Unicorn, it makes me think more of Hello Kitty. That's why I thought about someone else - because she's a Hello Kitty nut and has things in her wardrobe that will match the color scheme of this cowl.  Oh the decisions!

The cowl is finished except for weaving in the 2 ends and adding buttons. I'm going to have to go to Michael's, JoAnn's and/or Walmart to see if I can find buttons the correct size and color to match. I hope the recipient will love it as much as I loved making it. It should be warm and easy to put on and take off without messing up one's hair. I love cowls, but the one thing I dislike is how easy it is to muss your hair when taking it off.

If you'd like to make your own Braids Crochet Scarf Cowl, I've included the video below. If you prefer to have a written pattern, you can find Karen's instructions for sale here.





No comments: