Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Charity Crochet - Ugly Yarn

I have been going through boxes of things that have been in storage. When we moved here, we moved quickly and didn't have time to put thought into what we really wanted to keep or discard. What we didn't realize was, we were downsizing. Granted, the house is actually larger than the one we moved from by about 100 square feet, BUT, this one has no attic space. On top of that, the contents of a 2 bedroom apartment added to the "collection". UGH! So this is a huge project that is going to take some time (a gross understatement!)

While going through some boxes yesterday, I came across some very "dated" yarn that came from my mother when she died. It screams 1970's. I wonder what made my mom purchase such a color scheme. Was it on sale at the right price? Or maybe she had a project that called for it. Could she have possibly LIKED the color combinations? Or maybe it was just given to her. Mom never said no to free yarn! Unfortunately, I will never know.

I figured I'd give it a chance and crochet a swatch up to see if by some chance, there would be a surprise result. One never knows exactly how the yarn will work up while still wrapped on the skein.  I worked the swatch over 20 stitches using a size 10 (J) hook. I did 5 rows of single crochet and 3 rows of double crochet. Maybe I'm just not seeing the beauty, but it's certainly not getting any better than my first reaction... UGLY!



Now I felt I had a challenge on my hands. I had to do something to make this yarn into something useful and something someone would want to wear. Margaret Olander (her YouTube channel can be found here) is such an inspiration to me. She loves the challenge of crocheting and knitting with scraps and she does a lot of hats for charity. She was showing a some hats she had made using the Better Late Than Never Beanies by Kathy North. It was perfect for using this yarn in!


I think it tones down the yarn some. Unfortunately, the picture is a little off. The brown is a bit darker than what it appears here. I used Red Heart Super Saver in Brown for the main color. I also changed the pattern a little. I followed the pattern for 18 rows. In the directions it says to end the main color and work the last rows in the contrasting color. I ended the contrasting color and continued with the main color.
Row 19: Double crochet around.
Row 20: Chain 3 and work a Front Post Double Crochet and a Back Post Double Crochet around
Row 21: Single crochet around. Finish off.

I liked the ribbing look on the bottom. This hat was made in the Adult large size. I used an "I" hook and the gauge came out spot on.






No comments: